Friday, August 27, 2010

laundry day

My mom loved to hang laundry on the clothesline during the summer.  I remember looking out the window and seeing it flying and flapping, like it was trying to gather the courage to soar into the sky.  
I know that most people don't like to do the laundry, I am one of the "weird" ones, because I actually enjoy it.  I also enjoy doing the dishes, cutting the lawn, vacuuming, basically anything that makes order out of disorder. But I digress...

Here at the farm we don't have a dryer.  Correction, we have a dryer, it just isn't connected yet.  It will be connected by winter, but in the meantime, I have a clothesline on which to hang my laundry.  
There is something about seeing my family's clothes hanging on the line, soaking in the sun.  I like the simplicity of letting nature help me do my work.  I know in the eco-conscious world we live in I am doing something that helps the environment.  Really, I am doing something that feeds a deeper part of me.
Doing the laundry and hanging it out to dry on the line does require some planning on my part.  I need to make sure it isn't going to rain during the day--kind of a requirement.  But should it rain and I don't get the clothes off in time, they just get a second rinse, at least that is what my mom calls it. 
I have a system in place when I do the laundry.  I do my husband's work clothes first, so they are ready for the next week, then I do the boys' clothes, my "nice" clothes, the towels, and then the whites.  It may seem silly, but I make sure to hang the whites on the line so that they are not visible from the road.  Think whatever you wish, but white clothes generally are not made for public viewing.
There is a painting of my grandparents' farm that was done 100 years ago give or take.  Included in the picture is the clothesline with the laundry blowing in the breeze.  We have often wondered if the white squares were my grandfather's cloth diapers.  Maybe, maybe not.  
I think all farms should have a clothesline. 

Anyway, tomorrow is laundry day.  I am excited.  

No comments:

Post a Comment