Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Garden Preparation--61 days until Spring!

My Burpee Catalog has come in the mail.  It is the sign of spring to come.  I have not had a large garden before and I am excited and nervous about taking on such a project.
At our previous homes we have had a 2 x 3 ft section or maybe a 3 x 8 ft. section for gardening.  I now have a 14 x 24 ft. garden.  I have tons that I would love to plant, but I have to be realistic about what I can manage.
Carrots love tomatoes: secrets of companion planting for successful gardening [Book]There is a fabulous resource book called Carrots Love Tomatoes, which discusses companion gardening.  The book came out originally in 1975 and has become a major go-to book for gardeners.  I have also checked out Backyard Homestead. This book gives all sorts of information about how to grow a sustainable living on 1/4 of an acre.  It is really enticing to know what a person could do with so little ground.   Between the two books there is a no doubt I could be successful as a first time gardener.

Last week I received the book MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook  for the Farmgirl in all of us, by MaryJane Butters.
She has a magazine called MaryJane's Farm, that is full of different ideas, articles, etc. for organic farming on whatever size parcel a person has for growing.  The book is chock-full of information I could use here at the farm, including ways to build community among the farms in your area and even sewing projects.  I highly recommend the book, even if it is used for dream-building ideas for your "someday" garden/farm.


So far I plan to grow corn, squash, beans, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, onion, and a number of herbs.  My husband likes spicy foods, so I have a number of pepper plants to grow as well.

I look outside and see 6 inches of snow and a weather prediction of 5 degrees Farenheit tonight, without a wind chill.  Welcome to winter in the Midwest.
Item Thumbnail

When I look at my seed packets and my gardening diagrams I can almost feel the sun on my back and the warm breeze on my cheek.  Almost.
Until that day, I will just keep watching the weather, and preparing for the growing season.  Happy Spring!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we are SO looking forward to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for that fresh spring air blowing through the windows. Love you blog. A good friend of mine lives on a farm and runs it so well. It's always a pleasure to visit her. I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete