Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Another Day on the Farm

Item Thumbnail
view from the cow-yard



Today was a sunny, albeit blustery, day.  Our cows, Midnight and Daisy Mae,  are doing well with their calves.  I love watching the calves romp around the barnyard as they explore their world.  I make a point to go see the cows often so they will get used to me.  I managed to get 10 feet from Daisy Mae, who was not about to let me get too close to Moonbeam, her calf.



Item Thumbnail
the red oak bench
My dad made a bench from a red oak tree in the cow yard.  The bench looks out on the ancient trees with in the cow yard.  I found myself singing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" as I walked around looking for signs of spring.  The bench begs you to sit with a cup of tea and a good book; something I look forward to doing as it gets warmer.

We have a chicken coop that was used many years ago but unfortunately, raccoons have used it as a rest area.  I spent some time assessing what would be needed should we be able to get geese or ducks someday.  I know it goes against my family's tradition of raising chickens, but dear Andrew grew up with ducks and geese.  A good wife knows when to compromise.

Item Thumbnail
the sun setting


I spent the rest of my afternoon walking around the farm, taking in the quiet and appreciating all that we are blessed with here.
With love and hopes for spring (soon),
xo
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment