I found an example of one through Design Sponge, using old windows. I was in luck! There are at least 20 different windows being stored out in the sheds until they are needed. I set to work immediately. Using whatever I could find here in the buildings including 3 pound nails my grandfather had brought out here years ago.
I nailed the windows together to make the three sides of the cold frame.
I found a window that had plexiglass in it for the bottom of the cold frame, that way everything was contained and no unwanted critters could get in from the bottom.
Travis found some boards in the barn that were on a slant, perfect for the top of the cold frame. Obviously, the boards were not new ones.
After we put the top on Travis helped to clean the windows. Once the front was put on we put it on an old metal table frame against the garage. It faces south so it will get the most sun. The front window is on a hinge so it can be opened to adjust the temperature inside. The cold frame is made from completely "found" items. It looks a bit rustic, I know, but it is not intended for the red carpet, just for growing great vegetables for my garden.
Sending love and dreams of scrumptious vegetables,