Monday, March 28, 2011

Just Another Moooo-nday??

So, last night my son announced that there was some water on the floor in the cellar and it smelled weird.  Suffice it to say, the septic company has been called.

This morning while I was on the phone with the septic company my son, Arliss, came running in to tell me something.  After the phone call, I threw on my boots and grabbed a flannel to go find him.

Item ThumbnailThe long and short of it; the cows found a weak place in the fence and decided the grass truly was greener on the other side.  The cows and their calves are kept in the barnyard while the calves are very young.  Eventually, they will be turned out into the pasture behind the barn, which we call the cow yard.  Well, 4 cows and 3 calves went through the spot in the fence into the cow yard.  Midnight and her calf, as well as Moonbeam, the calf, stayed inside the barnyard but soon followed the others.

Item ThumbnailTravis, Arliss, and I tried to direct the cows back to the barnyard, using a piece of fencing to "push" them toward the open gate.  It seems to work better on Animal Planet than it did today.  The cows ran toward the  opening  that leads to the back pasture.  Unfortunately, the gate was frozen to the ground and I could not get it across the opening to close it.

Quickly, Travis and Arliss took the piece of fencing I had and dragged it over to the second gate to close up an area where the two gates did not meet.  SUCCESS!!  The cows were now contained, not where we wanted them, but it was a start.
Just when things could not get more exciting,  Rover and Rufus got out.  Rufus came running over and found a small spot where he could check out the cattle.  Rufus is roughly the size of the calves, so he probably thought he had new dog friends to play with.  Duchess, the newest cow-and also the most cantankerous, charged Rufus as a warning to stay away.  Our cattle are 3/4 Angus, which makes for better beef, but it also means a less friendly cow.  Finally, the dogs were in the house, the cattle were at least fenced in, and the septic people were on their way.

Item Thumbnail
tied on with baler twine of course
About 15 minutes later the farmers, the E. brothers, who take care of fields and cattle came up the drive.  I showed them the section of fence where the cattle escaped and they checked for any other possible future escape routes.  The cows were not willing to come back without bribery however,  so one of the E. brothers went back for a bushel of corn to coax the cattle into the barnyard.

It is not even noon here and I am ready for a nap.

Wishing you a wonderful week, but less eventful than mine.  
With love from the the farm...

1 comment: