Thursday, July 21, 2011

All hope is not lost!!

Our section of Illinois was soaked by lots of snow and rain and frigid temps in the spring, now we are hit with wicked heat and no rain at all.  The soybeans in the field are holding their own and beginning to flower.  I am amazed how much they look like sweet english peas.  At least I understand the way they grow.
Item Thumbnail
Travis started the project
Last Monday our area was hit with wild winds and storms.  We lost one limb thankfully.  Other towns about an hour or so away were not so lucky.  We lost power for 2 hours, others lost power for 4 days.  Arliss and Travis decided to take on the limb old-school.  I am proud to say no toes were lost in the process.
Item Thumbnail
Arliss takes a whack
Item Thumbnail
The wild raspberry vines that my mother-in-law and I found have produced over 2 quart bags of the beautiful goodness.  We have found a number of mulberry trees and nut trees as well.  I have learned so many identifications for plants by reading books and listening to my mother-in-law.  My mother-in-law has taken a hunter's survival course and can tell which plants are safe to eat and which ones can be used for medicinal purposes.

We have found horehound, stinging nettles (the hard way), and nightshade.  Now the nightshade is not a safe plant, but it is important to recognize it so we don't ingest it in any way.

Item Thumbnail
my first potato!!
Last night Arliss and I were watering the garden; the heat has been so bad that we waited until there was a breeze and it was cool enough to be outside.  While watering the potato plants I found that we already had some that were ready to eat!!  I was so excited.  Since I didn't plant the potatoes until after almost 2 weeks after Easter, I wasn't sure if I blew it or not.  We have red potatoes and yukon gold.
My cucumbers are blooming, as are my zucchini, and other squashes.  My corn has a couple of ears and my pumpkin vine has taken over the garden wherever there is an open area (think the 1950's movie The Blob).
I really thought the heat would have prevented any of my plants from doing much more than shriveling up. Hooray for tenacity!!
Item Thumbnail
A beautiful end to a summer day
I hope you are well and that your garden is growing and blooming and producing for you too.
Take care and stay out of the heat.
Sipping an ice cold sun tea in your honor,
with love from the farm.
xoox

No comments:

Post a Comment