Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Around the Farm

I have been busy around the farm; taking walks with my mother-in-law, who lives with us, and exploring the various flora and fauna around the farm.  I have found many wild berries around the fields and they are now ripe and amazing.
Item Thumbnail
My mother-in-law found gooseberries behind the tree
 My cousin, Cindy and I spent many summers eating the raspberries at our grandparents' farm.  As soon as the berries were red or even pink in some cases, we were picking them and eating them.  I have picked about a cup of them from our bushes and have at least 2-3 cups left to pick.  I've washed them and frozen them so I can make jam with them later when it isn't so hot!
Item Thumbnail
My brother is on the F 12 and my dad is on the H
Over the 4th of July weekend my family traveled to southern Illinois to pick up a tractor.  It is a 1936 F 12 Farmall tractor, the same kind my great-grandfather and grandfather used when they farmed.  My dad already has a 1948 Farmall H, the same kind that Grandpa used as my dad grew up.  It was a lot of fun to travel together; 5 kids and 5 adults.
Item Thumbnail
My sister-in-law with one of the Belgians that stood 18 hands.
The farmer who sold it to my dad gave all of us a hay ride with his Belgian horses pulling the wagon.  The kids even had a chance to handle the reins for part of the ride.  The whole weekend was a lot of fun.
Item Thumbnail
Travis has the reins.  The farmer had old bench seats that he bolted to the wagon for us to sit on.
 Our dogs, Rufus and Rover, went on a walk with my mother-in-law and me the other day.  When they started panting I took them to the low spot in the field where the rainwater had collected.  The water had receded enough that the field around it became a mud bog.  Unfortunately, I did not realize this until the dogs and I had started getting sucked into the mud.  By the time it was over the dogs and I were covered in dark, black, silty mud.  Lesson learned.
Item Thumbnail
The dogs had recently been given a bath too!!

I hope you have a great July.  The first few days have been wonderful here.
Item Thumbnail
Sunset on the way home taken by Arliss.
Sending love and berry-stained kisses from the farm.

1 comment: