Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Good Day

After spending the day with Travis' class on a field trip I came home to a wonderful husband making dinner and a peaceful house.  

When I went outside to put the ducks into the coop for the night I spent a few moments taking in the scenery.  The cattle had been turned out into the pasture this morning.  The mommas were more relaxed with the larger space to roam and the calves were frolicking with their new found freedom.  
The barn swallows were swooping and diving through the cool evening air gathering one last beakful of bugs before nesting for the night.  
The sun was setting and the sky was turning a beautiful blush color, like the cheeks of a young lady in love.  

As I turned to go back into the house I was reminded of a book I used to read to Travis and Arliss when they were young.   
Going to Sleep on the Farm by Wendy Lewison.  The story is simple, the artwork warm and sweet.  A little boy is getting ready for bed and he asks his father how various farm animals go to sleep. 
"How does a cow go to sleep?  Tell me how, how does a cow go to sleep?"  He asks.  His father answers, "The cow lies down in the soft sweet hay, in the cozy barn at the end of the day, and that's how a cow goes to sleep, moo, moo, that's how a cow goes to sleep."

As I drew in deeply the sweet smell of spring grasses and wild mustard in bloom,  I smiled and thought of my two adolescent boys who were ready to go to sleep down on the farm. 

Yep, it's been a really good day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment