Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Mother's Day

Being Saturday doesn't mean a lazy, sleeping in until noon, kind-of-day on the farm.

The day started at 6 a.m. when I woke up and began to mentally run through my day... I had the grass to finish cutting, Arliss had guitar lessons at 2 p.m. in a nearby town, the ducks needed to be fed, so did the dogs, and laundry, dishes, and the usual pick-up needed to happen.
last of the lilacs for the season
So, I got up, brushed my teeth, put in my contacts and went to let the dogs out and get the ducks cared for as well.
Rufus and Rover went for a run and to investigate any smells from the night before.  We have a young rabbit or two that scatter to safety every time Rover comes outside.  So far the rabbit has escaped each time.
The ducks' pen is a converted cyclone fence dog kennel, that wasn't big enough for the dogs.  Every day we give them fresh water in plastic dish pans and then food in an elongated chicken feeder trough.  The ducks hear me coming through the grass and begin the cacophony of quacking to tell me to hurry up.

Once the door is opened it's like the last day of school when all of the students are released.  The ducks spread out to find new bugs to munch on while I get their food ready.  It's a combination of course cut feed mixed with gravel/sand.  Ducks (and geese) do not have saliva to help them digest their food so the gravel works like a grinder breaking down their food once it is eaten.

The dogs supervise as the ducks gather around the trough for breakfast.  Once they are fed Rufus an Rover come back inside to be fed breakfast as well.

Then it's quiet time (if possible before the family wakes up), to set my mind on things Above.  After my breakfast, I put on overalls and go get the lawn mower started.  Our yard takes between 7 to 7 1/2 hours to push mow each week and lately it takes me two days to finish it all.

The grass is done by lunch time so I go in to grab a quick bite, get cleaned up and spend a few minutes with my husband and Arliss before he leaves for his lesson.

yarrow... I love the color.....
Once the dishes are done and the house is picked up (straightened pillows on the couches, floors swept of any shed dog hair and hay from the barn) I sit for a few minutes to play a quick game or six of Solitaire on my iPad.

Then as a Mother's Day gift to myself, I take a quick nap before the next thing.  Once I wake up I take a basket from the pantry and a pair of scissors and a paring knife before calling the dogs to come with me for a walk.

We walk down the lane that goes toward the pond and I look for any wildflowers.  I know it is a bit early, but I am hopeful.  All I find is wild mustard.  Rufus and Rover find the silt-filled low spot in the field and promptly get black from foot to belly.

We turn toward home and I avoid stepping on our corn seedlings which now stand about 2 inches high.

As I walk up to the barn my dear husband and Arliss return from town.  Eggs were on sale 50 cents a dozen at the store, so hubby bought 4 dozen.  Gotta love a man who shops like that !!
my mother and her's a few years ago on Mother's Day

The day is nearly over and it's almost time for dinner, which means it's time to feed the ducks again.  More water to the ducks, then go inside and feed the dogs.  Finally, eat dinner.

A quiet evening spent with Travis (who returned home from camping, dirty, scratched from riding his friend's ATV through the brush--where he lost his glasses....), Arliss, and hubby all watching a "guy" movie.

my dad with his mom a few years ago
The day is done, the sun sets in a beautiful sea of pink and gold and now it is time for bed... church in the morning and a day spent with family.  What could be more wonderful??

I have included a few pictures of Mother's Days gone by... enjoy.
Sending love and sweet kisses from the farm.
xoxo

My gram and me -- picture taken by Arliss






No comments:

Post a Comment