Thursday, June 14, 2012

My own kind of ox cart

As a former home-school mom and elementary school teacher I fell in love with the book Ox Cart Man by Donald Hall.  It is a wonderful story of a man and his family who make things to be sold at market.  One of his daughters collects molted feathers from the goose pen to make pillows.  The end of the book shows the man and his family repeating the process.  Again collecting the goose feathers and so on. 

With our ducks molting feathers I have found myself living out my own Ox Cart experience.  Yes, when we process the ducks I will have feathers but I figured it was foolish to let all of these "free" feathers go to waste.  So every evening when the ducks are in their pen for the night, I take a small pillow case and collect the feathers from the yard around the house.  I have enough to make a nice down mattress for a Barbie.  It might not seem like much, but I've only been doing this for a week or two at the most.  I can hardly wait to see how many I will have collected by the end of the summer.


half full bag
Barbie might like this soft mattress

now you see them  


The mulberries are ready for picking and the raspberries will be ready in the next week or so.  I was able to pick 2 quart freezer bags of mulberries last year and almost as many raspberries.  There might have been more, but raspberries are my absolute favorite fruit so more might have gone in my mouth last year than went into the basket.
now you don't

All is well here.  The cows love the back and forth of the two pastures as I mentioned in my last post.  Every evening they come from the back pasture home to the barn and it is a sweet sight to watch them amble home.

If you have a desire to pick some mulberries and smell the sweet clover out in the country, let me know.

Until then, sending love and raspberry kisses from the farm.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment