Saturday, May 4, 2013

April and May events

home sweet home
Illinois has experienced a wild winter.  Much of the time was spent with either warmer than usual weather, frigid, windy days and then finally snow.  Now that April is over and May has begun, it would seem that the seasons have started to remember what they are supposed to do.

The rains in April, which brought record-breaking flooding in my area, also rejuvenated the grass and now the yards and hay fields are so lush and green it would make the Land of Oz jealous.

The 5th grade class at my school hatched 20 chicken and I brought them home last week to raise here on the farm.  The chickens were hatched from brown eggs so I have been researching the various breeds that lay brown eggs.  I believe the chickens are either Plymouth Rock or Rhode Island Red, but they could be Australorp or Barnevelder for all I know.  I have checked the color of the skin and the color of the ears which are both reddish-pink.  I will have to wait and find out.

In the meantime, while the chickens are growing and learning their roles on the farm,  the ducks and geese are doing their part as well.  We have more eggs than I can ever eat in a year!  Our incubator is still working, but we have been having trouble with the final week or so in the eggs' development and unfortunately we have lost 5 goslings that were fully developed but didn't finish.

I walked around the property this morning taking pictures of the trees and plants as they prepare to show their blooms and blossoms.

The cows and calves are longing for the green grass on the other side of the fence.  I have made some fast friends with the cows by feeding them handfuls of grass while they wait for freedom in the pastures.

Sending love and rain-kissed smiles from the farm.
xooxox




pear blossoms

macintosh apple blossoms


cherry blossoms

wolf river apple blossoms 

chokeberry bush

raspberry patch

virginia bluebells

peonies from my great-grandmother

lilacs -- brought from OK to CO to IL by my mother-in-law

duck eggs and goose eggs ready for consumption

No comments:

Post a Comment